Skip to main content

Emotions and the Psych Professor

 Tuesday: The Smiling Ghost (1941)

      Lucky is an engineer who is struggling to make ends meet. He gets hired to pretend to be the fiance of an heiress, Elinor. Elinor is believed to be cursed. Her last three fiances have been killed or seriously injured. Her family wants to prove that there is no curse. So Lucky must pretend to be her fiance for a month and survive. Once at her house he learns that there are some who believe that a ghost, known as the Smiling Ghost, is responsible for harming the other fiances. Lucky soon finds himself in danger. He ends up working with a reporter, Lil, to get to the bottom of what is really happening. I thought this movie was alright.

Friday: Inside Out 2 (2024)

       Riley is now a teenager and about to enter high school. She goes to a weekend hockey camp. It could affect her making the high school team. While there she has to deal with the pressure of trying to be a top player and personal friendships. Inside her emotions are changing. Joy and the others are struggling to keep up with these new situations. New emotions come: Anxiety, Envy, Embarrassment, and Ennui. Anxiety takes over. She wants to change Riley's sense of self. Joy fights her on that and Anxiety ends up bottling her up with the other older emotions. She also throws out Riley's old sense of self. Joy and the others must breaks out and find the sense of self and return it to headquarters before Riley is changed. This movie was good.

Saturday: Hit Man (2024)

        This is inspired by a true story. Gary is a psych professor. To make some extra money he gets involved with uncover work with the police. Bringing in people who hire hitmen. One day their normal front man is suspended. So Gary has to go in and pretend to be the hitman. He's nervous at first but ends up being really good at it. Soon he really gets into it. Tailoring each hitman persona to who they're trying to arrest. His next target is a young woman, Madison, who wants to kill her husband. When Gary meets with her he learns that her husband is abusive and she thinks this is her only way out. He convinces her not to go through with it. He is attracted to her. After another meeting they end up starting to see each other, Gary still pretending to be a hitman. Which breaks all kinds of rules. It gets complicated. I thought this movie was good. Even though it has a strange twist. There was a man named Gary who did undercover work while being a professor. But that's the only similarity.

Sunday: Falling for Figaro (2020)

       Millie is an American living in London with her boyfriend. She is a successful fund manager. Millie decides to give it all up and follow her dream to be an opera singer. The only way to break into opera singing so late in life is to win the Singer of Renown competition. It's recommended that she take lessons from a former opera singer Meghan. So Millie travels to the Scottish Highland to convince Meghan to train her. Meghan has another student, Max, who has led an unsuccessful career. Meghan agrees to teach Millie. Millie finds that she does have talent as a singer. She and Max grow close as they both prepare for the competition.  This movie was alright. I avoided watching because I don't like opera singing. I muted most of the singing. But I did find the story to be interesting, so that's why I finally watched it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...