Skip to main content

Snow Cheese and the Prince Interview

      On Saturday I had lunch at a food cart called Frybaby. It's part of the Lil' America pod on SE Stark. There is street parking. I went later in the day so it was easier to find a spot. It can get busy in that area though from other times I've been in that area. There is plenty of covered tables. As well as heaters which was nice. The truck itself is simple, painted blue. The logo is a crying baby with chubby cheeks and tears. They are known for their Korean fried chicken. I got snow cheese drumsticks. It is sweet and savory. It is also very messy. So messy they give you plastic gloves to eat it with. Which I was grateful for. Still made a mess. The chicken was really well cooked. It was good. I also got a side of kimchi mac and cheese. It was too spicy for me. I couldn't finish it. From what I can tell all the sides are spicy. So if I got back, which I might, I wouldn't get any sides.

Monday: Prizzi's Honor (1985)

       Charley was taken in as an honorary member of the Prizzi family mob. He is their contract killer. At a wedding he meets a woman named Irene. Charley falls hard for her. They have a whirlwind romance and get married. Then he finds out she is a contract killer. She was involved in a hit of an associate of the family. It becomes even more complicated when they both get contracts that they can't go through with. I thought this movie was alright.

Thursday: The Muppet Movie (1979)

        Kermit is discovered by a Hollywood agent in his swamp. He decides to go to Hollywood to be a star. There is a big audition for frogs. The owner of a frog leg restaurant chain takes notice of Kermit near the swamp. He wants Kermit to be his spokesperson. Kermit refuses and the owner chases Kermit as he travels to Hollywood. Willing to force Kermit into being in the commercial. Along the way Kermit makes friends who also want to be stars in Hollywood. Like Miss Piggy and Fozzie bear. They race to get to Hollywood in time for the audition. This movie was ok. It's supposed to be a classic, but I didn't think it was that good. Maybe because I didn't grow up watching it. Like most of their movies there are a lot of actor cameos.

Friday: Monkey Man (2024)

       This movie is set in India. A young man seeks revenge on the man, Rana, who burned down his village when he was a kid. He gets a job as a dishwasher at the club Rana is often at. He wants to work his way up so he can get close enough to kill Rana. The trauma of his childhood comes rushing back. He has to work through it and become stronger so he can take down Rana and the whole system. I thought this movie was ok.  I wanted it to be better. But it was just messy. The story was kind of all over the place. Maybe part of it is I'm just not always the biggest fan of action films like this. The lead actor, Dev Patel, also directed, wrote, and produced the movie. For him I wanted to like it. But unfortunately it just wasn't that good.

Saturday: Scoop (2024)

        This is based on a true story. Sam is a talent booker for a news show on the BBC. After learning about a youth program Prince Andrew is starting up she reaches out to his secretary. Sam wants to set up an interview to talk about his relationship with known sex offender Jeffery Epstein. After a lot of back and forth she gets the interview. The show's host, Emily Maitlis, prepares for the interview. The tone has to be just right. The palace also has concerns about how much they are going to try and get out of Prince Andrew. He prepares answers so he doesn't look bad. In the end the interview is a success. Prince Andrew is exposed for his involvement. This movie is good. Doesn't matter what the subject matter is, British movies always relax me.

Sunday: Desperately Seeking Susan (1985)

        A bored housewife named Roberta becomes obsessed with a woman named Susan. Susan and her on and off again boyfriend Jim communicate through the personal columns. They both travel a lot and are rarely in the same city at the same time. Susan gets involved with some bad people. She doesn't realize this till she's back in New York City. Roberta decides to go to see Susan and Jim in person, following the meeting time they set in the paper. Then she follows Susan. Susan trades in a coat for some boots at a vintage store. Roberta ends up buying the coat. In a strange turn of events Roberta loses her memory and thinks she is Susan. Now she is a target for the bad people following Susan. They have to get it all straightened out before either of them gets hurt. I thought this movie was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...