Skip to main content

Marley and the Band Reunion

 Tuesday: Pollock (2000)

      This is based on a true story. Jackson Pollock came onto the art scene in the early 40s. Despite a drinking problem he was able to make great art. Then he met another artist, Lee Krasner. She believed he was a great artist. Lee became his champion. She helped him meet the right people and get shows. They ended up falling in love and getting married. His drinking got in the way of his success. To get him away from temptation Lee and Pollock moved to the Hamptons. There he was able to do really great work. He became a famous artist. Yet he wasn't able to run away from all his demons. I thought this movie was alright.

Wednesday: How to Build a Girl (2019)

     Johanna is a teenage girl who doesn't fit in. She wants to be a writer. She learns of a contest to win a spot as a junior writer at a rock music magazine. Despite not knowing much about rock music she wins the contest. Johanna creates a persona that will fit in better in the rock world. Her articles start to get attention. Especially when she starts to be critical and mean. She starts to lose who she really is. But she's desperate to fit in somewhere and be seen. So she lets it go too far. This movie was alright.

Friday: Bob Marley: One Love (2024)

     This is based on a true story. The movie starts in the 70s when Jamaica is in turmoil. Two political parties are fighting against each other to become the leader. Bob is a well known singer who tries to stay out of politics. He is holding a peace concert hoping to get the message out there. Bob and his family are targeted. Even then he still goes through with the concert. Then he goes to Europe where he rises to world wide fame. Still he hopes to bring lasting peace to his home of Jamaica. I thought this movie was good. It was interesting to learn more about him. Several of his family members were producers on the movie.

Saturday: Trolls Band Together (2023) 

       Branch used to be in a boy band with his brothers when he was younger. They strived to have the perfect family harmony. But they were never able to work together well enough to make it happen. They broke up and went their separate ways. Years later Branch's oldest brother John Dory comes to find him. Their brother Floyd has been kidnapped by a musical duo named Velvet and Veneer. They are using Floyd's talent to make themselves talented and famous. They have to save their brother. First they have to find their other brothers to help. Poppy goes with them and on the way she is reunited with her long lost sister. They all race against time to save Floyd. This movie was good. I enjoy the Trolls movies. I think they are creative. I liked all the boy band references. They even had Nsync in it. Justin Timberlake, the voice of Branch, was in Nsync.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...