Skip to main content

Widower and the Local Bank

 Tuesday: Radio Days (1987)

     This movie tells two stories. One is about a young boy from a big family growing up in the 30s and 40s in New York. His family is obsessed with the radio. Each member has a certain show they like. When there wasn't much hope they found comfort in the radio. The second story is about a young actress who becomes a famous radio star. The business changes her. I thought this movie was alright.

Wednesday: Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971)

     Alex is a young woman who hates her office job in London. She is seeing a young man named Bob. He is an artist. They get a long really well. What's unique about their relationship is that Bob is also seeing a doctor named Daniel. There is an understanding. Bob dates both of them and they don't talk about the other. This works for a time. Then Bob gets a job in New York. He isn't sure how long he will be gone. This brings new light to the complicated relationship they all have. It seems too hard to maintain. This movie was alright.

Friday: Good Grief (2023)

      Marc is an American living in London with his famous author husband Oliver. They have a great life with great friends. Then Oliver is tragically killed in an accident. Marc is heartbroken. He finds it hard to cope. Later Marc learns that Oliver had a secret apartment in Paris where he planned to be with someone else. Under false pretenses Marc and his two friends travel to Paris for a vacation. There they have to come to terms with difficult aspects of their life they had been avoiding.  I thought this movie was alright.

Saturday: Bank of Dave (2023)

      This is based on a true story. Hugh is a London lawyer who is assigned to help a man named Dave see if he can set up his own bank. Dave is a wealthy man living in a small town north of London. He is very generous. He likes to give people loans so they can start businesses, get on their feet, etc. Most of these people are turned down by regular banks. Dave wants to set up his own bank so he can give loans legitimately. All the profit will go to local charities.  A new bank hasn't been approved in over a hundred years. Hugh basically goes to the town to tell Dave it's not possible. But Dave soon wins him over. They do their best to start the bank, facing many obstacles along the way. This movies was alright. It's a good story.

Sunday: Supercop (1992)

      This is a Chinese film. Although the only version I found with dubbed in English. Ka Kui is a Hong Kong detective. He is sent to China on a special assignment. He is to help break out a criminal named Panther. Panther is the brother of drug lord. Working with a Chinese inspector, Jessica, he gains the trust of Panther. They are led to his brother. They aim to take down the drug lord. It doesn't go according to plan. I thought this movie was alright. It's weird there was only a dubbed version. The dubbing was ok, but I would have preferred to just watch it in Chinese with subtitles. Dubbing on live action movies just looks silly and off. I mostly watched this movie because Michelle Yeoh plays Jessica. I wanted to see one of her younger martial arts action roles. She did most of her own stunts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...