Skip to main content

Sofia and the Overly Generous Husband

 Tuesday: Presenting Lily Mars (1943)

      Lily dreams of being an actress. She is friendly with a woman whose son, John, is a Broadway producer. Lily asks the woman to introduce them. John is uninterested in meeting another amateur actress. Lily begs him to let her audition, but he won't give her the time of day. So she follows him to New York. There she sneaks into the theater where his current play is. She wears him down and gets a part. Soon John can't help but be won over by her. He falls for her. I thought this movie was alright.

Wednesday: Good Sam (1948)

      Sam is a very generous man. He can never say no to helping someone out. He goes to great lengths. Often he is too generous. There is not enough money left over for him and his family. His wife, Lu, is tired of him putting everyone else first. His generosity often causes more problems than it helps. All she wants is to buy a house that they can have for their own. But they never have enough because Sam is always giving it away. Lu is losing her patience and unsure how to move forward. This is a good movie. It's actually more light hearted than it sounds.

Friday: The Color Purple (2023)

      Celie and her sister Nettie are two young women who have a hard life but find comfort in each other. Their father marries Celie off to a man called Mister. Mister is abusive and only sees her as a maid and someone he can use. Celie and Nettie are separated. Years pass and Celie continues to endure abuse. One day her stepson brings his girlfriend Sofia by. Sofia is a strong confident woman who doesn't let any man push her around. Celie is jealous of her. Later Mister's former mistress, a singer named Shug, comes back to town. She stays at their house and takes a liking to Celie. Celie has a big crush on Shug and idolizes her. They become friends. Shug doesn't stay for long. Celie continues to face hardships but finds comfort in the women in her life. She dreams of being reunited with her sister. I thought this movie was good. It was really well done. Sofia is a great character. I hope the actress who plays her, Danielle Brooks,  wins some award for it. I think I've seen the original movie. At least parts of it.

Saturday: The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn (1999)

      An old man named Noah is well known in his small town. He is a master carpenter. Noah is also very generous and helps all that he can. A developer, Christian, comes by Noah's house one day. Christian makes an offer to buy Noah's land. He thinks it is a generous offer. Noah turns it down. Christian thinks there must be something wrong for him to turn down such an offer. No one seems to be able to convince Noah to sell. Christian comes up with an idea to have Noah declared insane. He brings his girlfriend Valerie, who is a therapist, to town to evaluate Noah. Valerie soon begins to see there is more to Noah than meets the eye. He should be a much older man but looks like he is in his 50s. There is something almost magical about him. She comes to like him and wants to defend him. This movie was alright. It was annoying that Christian couldn't understand that Noah wasn't just going to sell him land to a stranger. That it was crazy that a man wouldn't want to leave his home. Then to go to great lengths to force him off his land.

Sunday: Anatomy of a Fall (2023)

     This a a French film, although a lot of it is actually in English. Two writers, Sandra and Samuel, moved with their blind son Daniel to a chalet in France. Sandra is German and lived for awhile in London. One day after coming back from a walk Daniel finds his father dead outside the chalet. It appeared that he had fallen from a window at the top of the house. Sandra is immediately suspected of killing Samuel. She hires a lawyer to defend her. The case is very difficult. Not least because the only witness is their blind son. I thought this movie was ok. It was the last of the Golden Globe nominated films that I needed to see. Or the last one I'm willing to see. I'm not sure why it was nominated, it wasn't that good. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...