Skip to main content

The Boy and the Feast of the Seven Fishes

 Tuesday: Beautiful Disaster (2023)

     Abby gets into college and is ready to start a new life. She wants to get far away from her dark past. One night she goes with her friend, America, and America's boyfriend, Shepley, to a fighting match. There she meets Travis, a bad boy and amateur fighter. Abby wants nothing to do with Travis. Yet can't help feeling attracted to him. Turns out he is Shepley's roommate so she sees him more than she thought she would. Despite her best efforts she falls for him. I thought this movie was ok. The acting wasn't very good, especially the actress who played Abby. Definitely a B movie, maybe even a C movie if such a thing exists.

Wednesday: Dressed to Kill (1980)

      One of Dr. Elliott's patients is killed. He later finds out it was one of his other patients, Bobbi, who did it. Bobbi is a trans woman. Dr. Elliott didn't give her a recommendation for surgery so now she wants revenge. She does this by framing him for murder. Liz is a sex worker who witnessed the murder. Now Bobbi is trying to kill her. Dr. Elliott and Liz both have to try and get out of the situation. This movie was alright. I guessed the big twist. When I recorded the movie it didn't say anything about a trans character in the description. Not that I mind. It does add an interesting aspect to the movie. But unfortunately most of it comes off as really transphobic. So it was cringey to see all that. I know it was made in a different time but as a supporter of trans rights it's hard to watch.

Friday: The Boy and the Heron (2023)

      Mahito lost his mother in a fire during a war. Later he and his father leave Tokyo for the country. They are to live with his mom's younger sister in her house. While there he meets a heron who can talk. The heron says he know's where Mahito's mother is and can take him to her. On the land where the house is there is a mysterious tower. The aunt's great uncle had it built, then went mad and disappeared. The tower intrigues Mahito. Through it he discovers a world between the living and the dead. He travels through it trying to find his mother. I thought this movie was really good. It was so well done. I love the nature shots in Studio Ghibli films. It's great to get another film from Hayao Miyazaki. 

Saturday: May December (2023)

       Twenty years after the scandalous events of a woman in her 30s, Gracie, being caught having an affair with a 13 year old, Joe, a movie is being made about their story. Gracie and Joe are married. They have three kids. One in college and two graduating high school. Elizabeth is an actress who is going to play Gracie. Gracie and Joe agree to let her come and ask them questions and see how they live. Her being there brings up things they have been ignoring and it adds pressure. This movie was alright. The acting was good. It is inspired by the true story of the teacher Mary Kay and the young student she had an affair with.

Sunday: Feast of the Seven Fishes (2019)

      Tony belongs to a large Italian family. His family wants him to take over the store they own. But he wants to be an artist. It's almost Christmas and his family is getting ready for the feast of the seven fishes which takes place on Christmas Eve. The night before Tony goes out with his cousin Angelo and Angelo's girlfriend Sarah. Sarah's friend, Beth, is home for winter break from college. She joins them. Beth and Tony get along really well. Beth gets invited to go to the feast. Despite several complications they continue to be drawn to each other. I thought this movie was good. I enjoyed it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...