Skip to main content

The Killer and the Wish on a Star

 Friday: Wish (2023)

       On the island where Asha lives everyone makes a wish when they turn 18. They give the wish to the king, Magnifico. Once a month Magnifico picks one wish to grant. Asha wants to get her 100 year old grandpa's wish picked. She tries to get a job as Magnifico's assistant, knowing she might have some say in what he picks. But she learns that he has other motives for his wish collecting and granting. Desperate to make it right Asha wishes on a star. The star comes down from the sky to her. It wants to help her take on Magnifico. I thought this movie was alright. I enjoyed it but it wasn't the best. I really enjoyed all the references to other Disney movies. Some are more obvious. It took me a while to realize her seven friends are a version of the seven dwarves. Well I got Dopey right away but didn't connect it was all of them till later.

Saturday: The Killer (2023)

     The killer is hired to assassinate a target. It goes wrong. He successfully makes it out without being caught. He makes it to his hideout only find out someone has broken in and attacked his girlfriend. In a fit of rage he tracks down everyone involved and takes them out. This movie was alright. It was very stylized. Most of the dialogue of the killer is voice over. Also to note the main character doesn't have a name, he's just called "the killer". Didn't want to give too much away so that's why the summary is short.

Sunday: Fist of Fury (1972)

     This is a Chinese film. Chen returns to his martial arts school after learning his master is dead. His death was suspicious. Members of a Japanese dojo come to the school and insult them. Chen's master taught them not to react to such insults. Chen finds this difficult in his grief. He goes to the dojo and beats up the best fighters. This further ignites the war between the two schools. Chen tries to defend the school while also seeking revenge for his master. I thought this movie was ok. I think it's just the style of the movie, but it was cheesy and some of the acting is over the top.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...