Skip to main content

Ice Cream Tacos and the Worst Soccer Team Ever

      While I was in California I met my friend at a place called Sweet Rolled Tacos in Redlands. It's a favorite of her's. It's in a small shopping center. The store itself is small with simple decor. There are some cute murals on the walls. The bases of the tables are vintage Singer sewing tables. The service was good. The ice cream is flattened and then rolled. It is placed in a waffle cone shaped like a taco shell. They have a variety of shell colors to choose from. I got one called Monster Ink. It was blue chocolate chip cookie and oreo ice cream topped with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and a small chocolate chip cookie. I got a green shell. It was good. I would go back.

Tuesday: Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)

     Easy is a black WWII veteran who looses his job. He is desperate to find work. He gets hired to find woman named Daphne. She is a white woman who is known to spend time in the black community. Daphne is also the fiance of one of the men running for mayor. Easy thinks it will be easy to find her. Soon he realizes she is involved with some very dangerous people. Now Easy is right in the middle of it. I thought this movie was good. 

Friday: The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes (2023)

     This is a prequel to the other Hunger Games movies/books. Coriolanus Snow is studying to be a part of the Hunger Games. If his proposal is chosen he will win money. His family desperately needs the money. The war stripped them of their fortune. Then he learns the rules have changed. Now to win the money they have to mentor a tribute in the Hunger Games. If the tribute wins they get the money. Snow is assigned to Lucy Gray, who is from district 12. Lucy is a singer who stands out from the rest. Snow does his best to help her win. While also falling for her. He learns just how corrupt the whole system really is. This movie was ok. I didn't read the book this was based on. And I'm kinda glad I didn't. The storyline seems random.

Saturday: Nyad (2023)

     This is based on a true story. Diana Nyad is a marathon swimmer. She was decorated athlete. Diana attempted to swim the 111 miles from Cuba to Florida when she was young but failed. She always regretted not completing the swim. When she turns 60 she decides to try again. She trains with the help of her long time friend Bonnie. Diana is determined to do it. It takes her 5 tries over several years before she is finally successful. I thought this movie was alright.

Sunday: Cure (1997) 

     This is a Japanese film. Horrible murders are being committed in the same way. But they are all done by different people. These people are found nearby having no memory of what they've done. Detective Takabe is working with a psychologist to find out what is happening. They have little luck. Meanwhile a strange young man is found wandering. He has no memory. Also he has a strange affect on people. This movie was alright. It's dark and strange.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Friday: Next Goal Wins (2023)

      Inspired by true events this movie tells the story of the American Samoa soccer team. They were known for losing 31-0 in a 2001 FIFA match. The president of the American Samoa team wants them to make a least one goal in a match. Thomas Rongen is a coach from the mainland who has the option of being fired or coaching the American Samoa team. He reluctantly agrees to coach the team. He is a drunk with anger issues. Thomas doesn't think they have the skills to be a team. He barely tries to coach them. Then he gets help from Jaiyah, a trans woman on the team, to recruit team members and turn the team around. I thought this was a good movie. Taika Waititi is the director and writer (he also produces it and acts in it). He always does a great job with his projects. He has a unique sense of humor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...