Skip to main content

Musical Connection and the Bakery

 Friday: Flora and Son (2023)

    Flora is a young single mother. She struggles to get along with her 14 year old son Max. Her ex, who used to be in a band, is little help. Max is constantly getting in trouble. He has a case manager who is running out of options from keeping him out of jail. One day Flora finds a guitar. She gives it to Max thinking music will be a way to keep him occupied and off the streets. He rejects it. So Flora decides to take guitar lessons herself. She finds an American man, Jeff, who does lessons online. Flora starts to really get into her lessons. Then she learns that her son it making music on his computer. He is really good. They finally have a connection and their relationship gets better. I thought this movie was good.

Saturday: Dumb Money (2023)

      This is based on a true story. Keith is a financial analyst. He has a youtube channel where he talks about the stalk market and things like that. He notices the stock in the store GameStop is low and the billionaires who have stock in it are under estimating it. So he buys a lot of stock in GameStop and others follow him in doing so. Soon the stock starts to rise and he's making a lot of money. Meanwhile the billionaires are losing money. It all becomes very complicated but in the end the underdogs win. This movie was alright. There was a lot of crass and raunchy humor that I didn't like. I didn't really understand a lot of the stock terminology and all that. But it is an interesting story and it was well done.

Sunday: Love Sarah (2020)

      The day Isabella and her best friend Sarah were going to start work on their new bakery in London, Sarah gets in a fatal car accident. Sarah's daughter, Clarissa, struggles to keep up at her dance school. Then her boyfriend breaks up with her and she is left with no where to live. As a last resort she goes to her grandmother, Mimi. Mimi and Sarah had a strained relationship. Mimi takes Clarissa in. Soon after Clarissa decides she wants to open the bakery with Isabella. Mimi comes in as an investor. Only problem is they need a baker. After many failed interviews Mathew shows up. He went to cooking school with Isabella and Sarah. There is bad blood between them but he is an amazing cook so they hire them. The bakery struggles in the beginning. Then Mimi comes up with an idea. They ask people who live in London who are from different countries what bakes goods they miss from home. Then that's what they will make in the shop. Soon they are making desserts from all over the world. I thought this movie was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...