Skip to main content

Cake Barring and the Defector

 Tuesday: I Confess (1953)

      Father Logan is a young priest at a church in Quebec City. One night Otto, who lives in the church with his wife, returns late at night. He goes to confession and confesses to Father Logan that he has killed a man. The next day police start to investigate. They figure out Father Logan is involved somehow. He refuses to give any information he knows because it was told in confession. He won't break that rule. Soon the police start to suspect him. Father Logan did have some dealings with the dead man. But he is unable to clear his name and faces trial. I thought this movie was alright. It is an Alfred Hitchcock film. 

Friday: My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 (2023)

     Toula's father has passed away. One of his last wishes was to have his journal given to his three friends from his village in Greece. After receiving an invitation for a reunion in the village, Toula and her some of her family decide to go there to find his friends. Once there they meet Victory, who is their cousin and mayor of the village. Victory was the one who set up the reunion. While searching for the friends Toula discovers a family secret. This movie was alright. 

Saturday: Sitting in Bars with Cake (2023)

     Jane is studying to be a lawyer, but her true passion is baking. She is also shy and has a hard time meeting men. After celebrating her birthday in a bar, Corinne (Jane's best friend and roommate), has an idea. Jane will make 50 cakes and go to 50 different bars as a way to meet men. It soon becomes they highlight of their week. Then Corinne finds out she has cancer. Jane decides to be her caretaker as well as continues to go cake barring, as they call it. I thought this movie was good, sad but good. It's based on a cookbook written by the woman the character of Jane is based on. It tells her true life story.

Sunday: Moscow on the Hudson (1984)

      Vladimir is a Russian saxophonist who preforms with the circus. While on a trip to New York City he decides to defect in a Bloomingdale's. The security guard, Lionel, helps Vladimir and gives him somewhere to stay. He also meets his lawyer at Bloomingdale's and a woman he starts to date. Vladimir does what he can to become a citizen of the U.S. In the meantime he works many different jobs from bus boy to limo driver. His dream is to play in a jazz band. This movie is good.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...