Skip to main content

Robot Cowboy and the Arranged Marriage

 Monday: Westworld (1973)

       This movie takes place in the future. Peter and his friend John are going to an adult-themed amusement park. The options are West world,  Roman world, or Medieval world. It is totally immersive. Guest interact with robots who look human in these worlds. They can live their fantasy. Peter and John go to West world. They get into fights, spend time at a saloon, and more. Something is going on with the robots. They start to become dangerous and are not taking commands. Peter and John are targeted by a gunslinger who is determined to kill them. I thought this movie was alright. I've see the TV show that is based on this. I think I liked this better. But that's probably because the last two seasons of the TV show were so slow and boring. This movie went by fast.

Saturday: Double Feature- Midsommar (2019) and What's Love Got to Do with It? (2022)

        Midsommar is about a young woman named Dani. She suffers a terrible loss and is grieving. Her relationship with her boyfriend Christian was unsteady before the loss. Now Dani is more dependent on Christian which puts further strain on the relationship. Christian and his friends plan a summer trip to Sweden. Their friend Pelle is from a community in Sweden that is going to have a big festival and invites them. Dani ends up coming on the trip too. From the beginning there is something not right about this community. Strange and horrible things start to happen. No one will be the same. This movie was ok. I've heard about it since it came out. I didn't think I would like it, and I was right. But I was still curious about it.

        What's Love Got to Do wit It? is about Zoe who is a documentarian. She is struggling to find a subject for her next movie. Then her friend and next door neighbor, Kazim (who is Pakistani), tells her he has decided to have an arranged marriage. Zoe is curious about this still going on in modern times. She wants this to be her next documentary subject. Kazim and his family agree to let her make the film about them. She is there for the whole process. Zoe struggles with her own love life and wonders if there is something to the arranged marriage thing. I thought this movie was good. It was nice to watch a good romantic comedy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...