Skip to main content

Obsessive Gardner and the Gentleman in Jeopardy

 Tuesday: High Hopes (1988)

       This is a British film. Cyril and his long time girlfriend Shirley are a middle class couple living in London. They are non conforming and Marxist. Cyril has complicated relationships with his mother and sister. His mother's health is failing. But she is stubborn. His sister is narcissistic and only cares about looking like she is rich. She only helps with their mother to make herself look better. In the end it's about her and not her mother. Things can't go on as they are and Cyril has to find out what to do. I thought this movie was alright.

Thursday: The Beanie Bubble (2023)

       This movie is about the creator of Beanie Babies, Ty Warner. Although really it's about the three woman behind his success. First there is Robbie who was his business partner when they first started. She got cut out of the business. The second is Maya who started as a secretary but became a big part of the company. She helped with marketing and bringing the company online. The third is Sheila. She started to date Ty. Her daughters helped create some of the Beanie Babies. He took advantage of them all and paid the price. They all became very successful. This movie was alright. It was interesting to learn about. I didn't realize just how crazy collectors got. For me I just loved them because they were cute stuffed animals. I still have a lot of my beanie babies.

Friday: Oppenheimer (2023)

        J. Robert Oppenheimer was a brilliant scientist from the start. After college he travelled all over Europe to learn from the best. He gained a reputation for being one of the best minds in science. He took a job as professor at Berkley. There he got involved with the communist party, although more philosophically. He never joined. Later after WWII started he was asked to lead a team working to build an atomic bomb. Robert gathered the best minds in science to a compound in New Mexico to build it. It was a struggle. Even though they were successful the results were catastrophic. I thought this movie was good. It's long. 

Saturday: Ghosted (2023)

      Cole is a farmer who mets a woman named Sadie at the farmer's market. They hit it off and go on a date. Cole falls hard for her. But then doesn't hear from her. He's convinced there has to be a good reason why she isn't answering his texts. Cole doesn't think he's been ghosted (when someone doesn't reply to your messages and you never hear or see them again). He figures out she is in London and follows her there. As soon as he arrives he is kidnapped.  Sadie shows up and saves him. She is a secret agent. Sadie is annoyed he followed her and didn't take the hint. But now they are caught up in something and have to stick together. I thought this movie was good. Not the best but cute. It's fun and has some great cameos. I also like that it's flipped the typical story. Instead of a damsel in distress there is a gentleman in jeopardy.

Sunday: This Beautiful Fantastic (2016)

         Bella is a young woman with OCD who works at a library. She dreams of writing a children's book. While at work she meets a young man, Billy, who's quirkiness is not unlike her own. At home she butts heads with her neighbor who is a grumpy old man. He hates that she has let her garden become so bad. Bella has a fear of plants. Her landlord comes and threatens to kick her out if she doesn't fix the garden in a month. She struggles to get it done. This is a good movie.          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...