Skip to main content

Murderess and the Junior Stargazers

 Tuesday: Angel Face (1952)

       Frank is an ambulance driver. He responds to a call at a mansion. A woman was almost poisoned by gas. While there he meets the step daughter of the woman, Diane. Diane takes a liking to Frank. She follows him and convinces him to become their chauffeur.  They start to date. Soon Frank starts to realize how dangerous Diane is. She hates her stepmother and is open about her plans to kill her. Frank decides to leave but Diane isn't having it. I thought this movie was alright.

Friday: Asteroid City (2023)

      Augie has recently become a widower. He is taking his son to a junior stargazer event. It takes place in Asteroid City, a small town in the desert. While there he meets the other parents including the famous actress Midge Campbell. During a presentation an alien ship stops overhead and an alien comes down. Afterwards the town in under quarantine until they figure out what happened. The parents and children bond over their shared experience. This movies was alright. It was kinda slow. And there's this whole other plot that this is all a play. So we see behind the scenes of putting on the play. Wes Anderson, the director, has such a unique style. It's worth it just for that. Also the alien (which I'm pretty sure is stop motion) is cute.

Saturday: Mafia Mamma (2023)

      Kristin is an American woman who is unhappy with her life. Then she finds out her grandfather died and wants her to come to Italy for the funeral. When she gets there she learns he was the head of a mafia empire. He named her the new head in his will. Kristin is thrust into the leadership role not knowing what to do. After some struggles she comes into her own. I thought this movie was bad. It's a comedy but I didn't really like the humor. The acting isn't great either. I'm glad I didn't pay to see this in theaters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...