Skip to main content

Alice and the Candlesticks

 Tuesday: Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)

       Alice used to be a singer but gave it all up when she married her husband and had a son. Her husband is abusive. He dies in an accident leaving Alice and her son with nothing. She is determined to support herself and her son by being a singer again. They plan to go west to California. On the way they stop in towns so Alice can make money. She ends up in Arizona working as a waitress. She makes friends and meets a nice man. I thought this movie was alright.

Wednesday: The Emperor's Candlesticks (1937)

       A Polish secret agent, Stephan, is tasked with taking a letter to the czar of Russia. It is from his son who is being held by Polish nationalists. Before he leaves for Russia he meets up with an old friend. The friend asks Stephan to take a pair of candlesticks to the princess in Russia. The candlesticks have a hidden compartment. Stephan thinks this will be a perfect place for the letter and puts it in one of the candlesticks. Then his friend says he will have the candlesticks delivered to the train station. Stephan agrees only because he can't explain that he has hidden something in them. Olga is a Russian secret agent. Her organization has recently learned the identity of a Polish agent working against them, Stephan. She is to travel to Russia with evidence proving who he is and arrest him. She is also friends with Stephan's friend with the candlesticks. After learning about the secret compartment Olga convinces the friend to let her take the candlesticks. She hides the evidence in one. Later on the train Stephan learns what has happened. They both try to get to the candlesticks. They discover who each other is and it leads to more. This movie was good.

Sunday: Foxfire (1996)

       Maddy is a senior in high school. Her biology teacher is well known for sexually harassing female students. One day a drifter, nicknamed Legs, wanders into their classroom. She witnesses the teacher being mean to a girl named Rita. Later after class she learns that multiple girls have problems with him. So Legs, Maddy, and some other girls catch him in the act feeling up Rita in is classroom and beat him up. They threaten him if he ever does that again. After more trouble the girls are all suspended.  They become close friends and help each other out. I thought this movie was ok. It was filmed in Portland. It's one of the few films I've seen filmed in Oregon that actually shows it raining.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...