Skip to main content

Doric and the Hollywood Cover Up

 Tuesday: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)

           Jean is a teacher at an all girls school in Scotland. She has an unconventional way of living. Her teaching reflects that. She wants to shape her girls in her image. There is a group of girls that call themselves "Brodie's girls". They worship Jean and do anything they can to make her happy. Jean doesn't get along with the headmistress. Her unconventional ways soon cause problems for her as well as her girls. I thought this movie was alright. Maggie Smith plays Jean. She won an Oscar for her role. I thought she did a good job. It just wasn't that good of a movie.

Wednesday: John Wick (2014)

           An ex hitman named John has just lost his wife. He accidentally gets into an altercation with the son of a Russian gangster. The son breaks in to John's house, beats him up, kills his dog (a present from his late wife), and steals his car.  John soon seeks revenge. He is not someone to mess with. John goes back to his old ways to find the son. The Russian gangster puts a hit out on John to protect his son. This movie was ok. I know how popular these films are and decided to give it a try. It wasn't very good. The action scenes are boring and all the acting is two dimensional. Part of me knew that's how it was going to be, but I thought I would give it a try. I don't like action films with little to no script/plot. Where it's just a bunch of shooting and car chase scenes. It's why I've never seen any of the Fast and Furious movies.

Friday: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)

        Edgin has broken out of prison. He and his partner Holga return home to find his daughter. She isn't there. The friend they had left her with, Forge, has taken her. Forge has become very wealthy. He wants to keep the daughter for himself. He has also aligned himself with a wizard who is going to help him. Edgin is determined to get his daughter back. He assembles a team to help him break into Forge's castle and get her back. It isn't easy and they face many obstacles. I thought this movie was good. It's a lot of fun. I don't know much about D&D but I still enjoyed it.

Saturday: Feast of Love (2007)

       This movie follows several couples in a friends group. Bradley is unlucky in love. His wife leaves him for a woman. He struggles to find love again. His friend Harry recently lost his son. Harry and his wife are grieving and struggling to stay connected. One of Bradley's employees, Oscar, falls for a new coworker, Chloe. Oscar is a former drug addict living with an abusive father. Oscar and Chloe fall in love fast, although their love is doomed. This movies was ok. I mostly watched it because it takes place and was filmed in Oregon.

Sunday: Twilight (1998)

        No not the sparkly vampire one. This movie is about a retired private investigator named Harry. Harry was hired to retrieve the run away daughter of two Hollywood actors. While on the job he gets shot. He ends up recovering at their house and then living there. Harry becomes friends with the husband and has a crush on the wife. Things start to change when the husband's health starts to fail. Harry goes to deliver a package for him and instead finds a dead man. He starts to investigate and it points back to the couple he is living with and a long covered up murder. I thought this movie was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...