Skip to main content

Marcel and the New Approach

 Monday: Cadillac Man (1990)

        Joey is a car salesman at a luxury car dealership. The company is going through some changes and have to lay some people off. Joey has 2 days to sell 12 cars or he'll be let go. On top of that he has to deal with his two girlfriends, ex wife, and teenage daughter. Then a man, Larry, rides up to the dealership with a gun and takes everybody hostage.  He knows that his wife, who works there, is having and affair with one of the salesmen. Larry wants to confront the man and get revenge. Joey lies and says it's him. Using his people skills Joey tries to talk Larry down and even helps him. I thought this movie was ok. Robin Williams is Joey, which is why I watched it.

Tuesday: A Child is Waiting (1963)

       A woman looking to turn her life around, Jean, gets a job at a school for children with special needs. The head of the institute, Dr. Clark, has a tough love approach to helping the kids. Jean has a warmer approach. She soon becomes attached to a young boy. She wants to do all she can to help him. Dr. Clark warns her against getting too close. He doesn't believe her approach will work and that it will actually make things worse. Jean tries to prove him wrong. This movie  was alright.

Friday: The Whale (2022)

       Charlie is a morbidly obese English professor who never leaves his apartment. He teaches online classes. The only person he really interacts with in person is his friend Liz, who is a nurse. After having some chest pain Liz tells him he needs to go to the hospital soon or he will die. Charlie refuses to go to the hospital because of the cost. Knowing he doesn't have long to live he tries to reconnect with his teenage daughter. I thought this movie was alright. The acting is really good. I think Brendan Fraser (Charlie) and Hong Chau (Liz) should both get awards. I can see why Brendan got a 10 minute standing ovation at a film festival. But it is disturbing and hard to watch. 

Saturday: Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (2021)

       This is a film adaptation of the short film that was on Youtube. It is mockumentary style. Marcel is a shell who lives in a house. Dean, the filmmaker, interviews him and makes a film about him. Marcel used to live with a large community of shells. But then one day by accident most them where taken away. So it's just Marcel and his grandma. Through the videos on Youtube Marcel becomes famous. He's unsure about his fame. Then he decides to use it to find his community. This movie is good. It's cute. I remember seeing the videos on Youtube. It's interesting they decided to make a feature film about it. 

Sunday: The Menu (2022)

      Margot is going on a date with Tyler. He got a reservation at an exclusive restaurant on an island. All the other guests are very wealthy. Once on the island Margot starts to realize something is not right. The chef is very intense. As the meal goes on the courses become more surprising and dangerous. This movie was ok. I guess it's an interesting concept. But just not that good. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...