Skip to main content

Matilda and the Glass Onion

 Tuesday: Lady Jane (1986)

        This is based on a true story. Lady Jane is cousin to the young protestant King Edward VI. He falls severely ill. His council is desperate to keep England protestant. So they have Edward name Jane his heir before he dies. Jane is married off to the son of a minister high up in the king's court. They hate each other at first. But soon grow to love each other. Jane is unaware of the part she will play. When Edward dies she is made queen. She does her best to make some real changes. But the catholics come for the throne and she pays the price. Jane only ruled for 9 days. I thought this movie was alright.

Wednesday: I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

       The summer before college Julie and her friends are out celebrating. They are driving along on a cliff side road. Her friend is distracted and doesn't see a man in the road. They hit him. Thinking he's dead they panic. The group of friends make a pact to say nothing about it and get rid of the body. As they are dumping it the man comes to. They push him into the ocean essentially killing him. A year later Julie comes back home from college and receives a threatening note. She and her friends are in danger. They have to find out who is threatening them. This movie was ok.

Friday: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)

        A rich billionaire invites his friends to his private island for a murder mystery weekend. Also invited it famed detective Benoit Blanc. Benoit believes Miles, the billionaire, is in real danger of being killed. Everyone invited has a motive to kill him, including his ex business partner. Benoit does his best to solve the mystery but more and more layers come to light making it more complicated. I thought this was a good movie. There are some good twists. I like it better than the first one, mostly because there was less throwing up.

Sunday: Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical (2022)

       The basic story is the same. Although in this version there is no brother. Instead of going to the library Matilda goes to a library bus. She is friends with the librarian. Matilda also has come extra magic powers. This is a really good movie. Everything about it is amazing. From the sets to the songs. The kids are great. The girl who plays Matilda is really good. I enjoyed it a lot. I will probably watch it again soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...