Skip to main content

Priscilla and the Woman King

 Sunday: The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

          This film is set in Australia. Tick is a drag queen. He performs at a club with his friend Adam. Tick gets a four week residency gig at a casino in a secluded city. He decides to bring along Adam and his friend Bernadette, a transgender woman. Bernadette has recently lost her longtime partner. Tick thinks this trip will help her get her mind off things. They face many obstacles along the way. I thought this movie was good. Not as weird as I was expecting it to be. I think I was mixing it up with Pink Flamingos in my mind for some reason. Even though I've never seen that movie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tuesday: Quality Street (1937)

      This movie is set in the 1810s. Phoebe is a beautiful young woman. She falls in love with a doctor named Valentine. She believes he is coming by to propose to her. Instead he has come to tell her he has enlisted and will soon be going off to war. Years later he returns from war and seems to be no longer attracted to Phoebe. Worried she has become an old maid, Phoebe puts on a fancy dress and gets all made up. Valentine happens to stop by. He doesn't recognize her. So she pretends to be her niece. Phoebe wants revenge on him for spurning her twice. This movie was ok. 

Friday: The Woman King (2022)

      In the 18th and 19th centuries the kingdom of Dahomey is one of the most powerful states in Africa. When this film takes place it is ruled by a young king who wants to keep peace. That being said he has a powerful army made up of mostly women warriors. The leader of these warriors is Nanisca. She is a strong warrior who also advises the king. Europeans are coming to Africa to colonize it as well as continue the slave trade. Nanisca is determined to put an end to her kingdom's part in this. She wants a new way for them to prosper. The Europeans have partnered with a group who want to continue the slave trade so they can profit off it. The women warriors must fight to protect their people. I thought this was a really good movie. I thought it was just going to be an action film. But it is so much more. Viola Davis (Nanisca) and John Boyega (the king) are giving everything in those roles. Such good acting. 90% of the stunts were done by the actors themselves, which is pretty impressive.

Saturday: Breaking News in Yuba County (2021)

      Sue is ignored in her everyday life. No one seems to pay attention to her. One day she discovers a secret about her husband that rocks her world. Then he winds up dead. After seeing how much attention the parents of a missing girl are getting Sue fakes her husband's kidnapping. She does an interview even before contacting the police. Things become even for complicated the longer she keeps up the charade. This movie was alright. It felt like a Coen brothers movie. Dumb criminals somehow getting away with it, and violence.

Sunday: Only Yesterday (1991)

       Taeko is a young woman in her late 20s. She lives in Tokyo. She likes to spend her vacation days working on a farm out in the country. On the train ride there memories from when she was in the 5th grade come flooding back. The struggle of transitioning from being a child to a teenager. Once in the countryside she meets Toshio, a young man whose cousin works on the farm she is going to. He has moved there from the city to start an organic farm. They get a long. Taeko thrives on the farm and starts to rethink her life. This movie was good.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...