Skip to main content

Merton and the Rembrandt Letters

 Sunday: Chungking Express (1994)

       This is a Hongkongese film. There are two stories. The first is about Cop 223. He has just broken up with his girlfriend of five years. He is desperate to get back together with her. He does strange things like buying a can of her favorite food everyday and talking to her whole family on the phone. Also he runs into a mysterious woman who is always wearing a trench coat and sunglasses, as well as a blonde wig. We see that she is a drug smuggler struggling to get by. The second story is about an older cop, Cop 663.  He has also just broken up with his flight attendant girlfriend. He copes by talking to different objects in his house. Like his dish rag or his bar of soap. At his local sandwich shop he meets a young woman who just starting working there. She becomes obsessed with him. He may like her back. I thought this movie was alright.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Friday: DC League of Super-Pets (2022)

     Krypto is Superman's dog. They are best friends and do everything together. Krypto is jealous of Superman and Lois. Lex Luther enacts a plan to bring a new kind of kryptonite to earth that would allow him to have superpowers. Superman and the Justice League bring him down. Lex's former guinea pig, now in an animal shelter, built a device to capture some of the kryptonite. She is successful and gets superpowers. She kidnaps Superman. Krypto has to save Superman. The other pets at the animal shelter also got powers. Krypto has to go to them for help. This movie was good. Better than I thought it was going to be.

Sunday: Silver Streak (1976)

      George decides to take the train to Chicago for work. On the train he meets a woman named Hilly. She is an assistant to an art professor. Later that night after they hit it off George sees a murder. He believes it is the art professor. In the morning he goes to investigate. After discovering a strange group of men in the professor's cabin he gets thrown off the train. He makes it back on. George discovers the professor was going to discredit the work of a man named Devereau. Devereau was not happy about this and hatched a plan. George tries to solve the murder but just ends up getting thrown off the train again and again. One of those times he meets a thief named Grover who helps him. I thought this movie was alright. I mostly watched it because Richard Pryer (Grover) was in it. I hadn't seen many of his movies. The one thing I didn't like was there was a black face scene. Richard Pryer wrote the scene. He made it so another black man see's George in black face and doesn't believe it at all. Still doesn't seem right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wednesday: Thousands Cheer (1943)

       Kathryn is a singer who's father is a colonel in the army. She decides to go with him to basic training to entertain the men. There she meets former acrobat, Eddie. They don't hit it off at first. Eddie is desperate to join the air force. He comes up with a plan to get close to Kathryn to gain favor with her father so he can be reassigned. They end up falling in love. Eddie's rebellious nature almost ruins everything. At the end of training Kathryn puts on a big show for the soldiers with guest performers. I liked this movie for the most part. But when it gets to the show it stops being about the story and is just a bunch of celebrity performers (Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Red Skelton, etc.) doing routines. It went on for a long time and had little to do with the plot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...