Skip to main content

Newt and the Trip to Mars

 Sunday: The Weekend Away (2022)

         Beth flies to Croatia to spend the weekend with her college friend Kate. Beth has recently had a baby and is unhappy in her marriage. She is eager for a weekend away. Kate seems determined to relive their partying past. Beth goes along with it, even agreeing to flirt  and spend time with two men. The next day Beth wakes up and Kate is missing. Beth searches for her. When Kate's body is found she somehow becomes a suspect in Kate's murder. Beth has to prove her innocence and find the real killer. I thought this movie was alright.

Tuesday: Two Weeks with Love (1950)

          A 17 year old girl named Patti goes on vacation with her family to the Catskills. Patti is desperate to be an adult. She's tired of being a kid. On her first night she sees a handsome Cuban man named Demi. Patti falls hard and makes a fool of herself. Her friend, Valeria, also has eyes for Demi. She is older and is more adult. Valeria does all she can to get Demi to pay attention to her. Demi takes a liking to Patti despite it all. Patti struggles with feeling like an adult but is still technically a kid. This movie was alright.

Wednesday: Lady on a Train (1945)

        Nikki travels to New York by train. Before getting to Grand Central she witnesses a man being murdered. She goes straight to the police. They don't believe her. Then she thinks of getting help from a mystery writer, Wayne. He wants nothing to do with her even when she realizes the man who was murdered was a famous millionaire. Nikki decides to solve the mystery by herself. While spying on the dead man's house Nikki is caught and mistaken for the man's much younger fiance. She is brought to the will reading.  Nikki becomes even more entwined in this case. She has to find out what really happened. I thought this movie was ok.

Friday: Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)

        Grindelwald's latest ploy for power is to get elected to the head of the wizarding council. Dumbledore is still unable to go up against Grindelwald himself. So he brings together a group to take Grindelwald down. This group consists of Newt, Newt's brother Theseus, Jacob, Professor Lally Hicks, Newt's assistant Bunty, and Yusuf. They have to keep Grindelwald guessing. Never knowing their plan. They have to stop him from winning the election. Not much more I can say without giving things away. This is a good movie. I enjoyed it. I wish it wasn't surrounded by controversy. I feel bad for all the other actors and people who work on these movies. I will give something away, it's not really a spoiler. There is no explanation for why Grindelwald looks different. They just act like nothing's changed. It's a magical world. They could have said something. Like he took polyjuice potion or something like that. If you don't know Mads Mikkelsen replaced Johnny Depp after Johnny decided to leave the movie as to not bring anymore bad press. That whole situation is sad. Mads does do a good job though.

Saturday: Moonshot (2022)

       Set in the future humans are living on Mars. Walt is a college student desperate to go to Mars. He has applied to a student travel program 37 times and gets rejected every time. He's stuck working as a barista. At a party he meets Sophie who's boyfriend is working on Mars. Walt also meets Ginny who is set to go to Mars the next day. Walt and Ginny have a great night together. Even though she leaves they keep in touch. Walt later runs into Sophie. Her boyfriend isn't coming back anytime soon. Walt tries to make her feel better and ends up convincing her to go to Mars. Then he decides to sneak onto the same ship. He uses Sophie to get past security. So now both on the ship they are stuck together so they don't get caught. They soon realize Mars isn't all they hoped for. I thought this movie was cute. Not great but enjoyable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...