Skip to main content

Time Travel and the Suit Cutter

 Monday: The Innocents (1961)

        Miss Giddens is a young woman living in Victorian England. She is hired to be the governess of a rich man's niece and nephew. He has no interest in them and has sent them to live in his country estate. Miss Giddens loves children and is excited to work with them. She firsts meets Flora who is a sweet little girl. Later Miles is expelled from school and sent home. He is very charming. Miss Giddens soon starts to suspect something is not right with the children. She learns about the deaths of the former gardener and governess. She starts to see their ghosts and is convinced they have possessed the children. She wants to get rid of the evil spirits. I thought this movie was ok. I have seen it before but I haven't written about it on this blog. I remember it being better. I think I'm confusing it with The Others, as far as the storyline.

Wednesday: Walkabout (1971)

     Two British children are out for a picnic with their father near the Australian outback. There is a teenage girl and her young brother. All of the sudden their father takes out a gun and starts shooting at them. They run away. The father ends up dying after his car explodes. The girl leads her brother into the outback. They have little food and water and soon get lost. A young Aboriginal boy on walkabout finds them. Even though they don't speak the same language they understand enough. He helps them survive and  leads them out. This movie was ok. It's like watching a nature documentary about the outback with two British kids and an Aboriginal boy walking through it. The opening incident with their father is random and comes out of nowhere. 

Friday: The Outfit (2022)

      Leonard is an old British man living in Chicago in the 50s. He runs a suit shop. Leonard studied to be a cutter in London and makes custom suits. His business does well. He has a dropbox in the back of his shop. Gangsters drop off envelopes in it. Leonard keeps to himself. Then one day two of the gangsters take refuge in his shop after a shoot out. Now he has no choice but to be involved. He is more than he seems. I thought this movie was good. It was very well done. You think you know who Leonard is and then you learn more and more of his secrets. Also it all takes place in his shop. We don't see much of the outside world. It feels like a play. 

Saturday: The Adam Project (2022)

        In 2022 Adam is a middle schooler who is bullied. He is grieving after the loss of his father. He gets suspended for fighting. Then while alone one night he hears something in the woods behind his house. He goes to investigate and finds a man in the garage. Adam finds out that the man is him from the future. Older Adam is a time traveling pilot. He was trying to find his wife who disappeared after a mission and he landed in the wrong year. It all comes back to their dad and his business partner. This movie is alright. It is entertaining. Again Ryan Reynolds plays himself. I wonder if he ever wants a challenge or if he's ok just playing the same character over and over. The young actor who played Adam did a good job being like Ryan. In real life he is a big Ryan Reynolds fan.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...