Skip to main content

Ricotti and the Singing Fisherwoman

             After getting my booster shot I went to Lottie and Zula's for lunch. It is on NE Russell. There is some neighborhood parking but it is a little tricky. I ended up going down a street with a massive truck blocking the road. Luckily there was a spot and when I came back the truck was gone. I think Lottie and Zula's used to be a food truck. Now they have a store front. The front is covered in stickers. There are also some stencil paintings. A lot of it is pretty random. But there is a skull with swirl eyes that is the most used sticker/painting. It is next to the Wonder Ballroom. Which I've heard about but never seen. There is also another food cart near by. There are tables you can sit at in a large open shed with hanging lights. No heaters, so it was cold. It is take out only. They mostly do sandwiches but also serve some breakfast items. The service was good. I got the Ricotti Italian sandwich. It has several italian meats and giardinera (pickled vegetables). It was really good. Spicy but not too bad. Right at my limit. It warmed me up. I would go back. Their most popular sandwich seems to be Operation Plunder Dome, which is their meatball sub. It was sold out when I went. I would try that next time.

Monday: Christopher Strong (1933)

         A female aviator, Lady Cynthia, is picked up as part of a scavenger hunt. There she meets someone else who was picked up, Sir Christopher. Christopher is successful and happily married. Cynthia and Christopher start to spend a lot of time together. Cynthia is exciting and daring. Christopher is stable and kind. They have an affair that doesn't work out for either of them. I thought this movie was alright.

Tuesday: A Woman Rebels (1936) 

        Pamela grows up with her sister in the late 1800s. Her father believes women should have no rights and belong in the home. Pamela has higher hopes for her life. She wants love to be a part of it. After her sister gets married she finds a man. He turns out to be married and she ends it. Pamela struggles. She ends up getting a job at a women's magazine. She becomes very successful and a voice for women's rights. This movie was alright.

Wednesday: The Rainmaker (1956)

       In a drought ridden Kansas town lives Lizzie and her family. They run a ranch that is suffering. Lizzie's father and brothers want her to get married. But no one seems interested. Lizzie is desperate to get married but thinks she is too plain. Then one day a con man named Bill Starbuck comes into town. He claims he can make it rain. Doubting it will work, but willing to try anything, Lizzie's father gives Bill the money to make it rain. Despite hating him at first Bill helps Lizzie. This movie was ok. I unintentionally had a mini Katherine Hepburn marathon with theses last three movies. No complaints here.

Friday: Death on the Nile (2022)

      Hercule Poirot is on vacation in Egypt. He runs into his friend Bouc. Bouc invites Poirot to be part of a honeymoon party for an heiress and her new husband. It soon becomes clear that not everyone is happy with this marriage, and that most do not like the heiress. Later the party moves to a small cruise ship on the Nile. When the heiress winds up dead Poirot must find the murder. I thought this movie was alright. The scenery and cinematography are beautiful. The rest was only ok. The acting seemed off and the storyline was weird. It also didn't help to have some controversial actors in it.

Saturday: Spencer (2021)

      Princess Diana is spending Christmas with the royal family at the Sandringham estate. She struggles with the pressure and expectations. It seems everyone is watching her and expecting her to act out. There is a lot of media attention on her, mostly surrounding her possible divorce from Charles. Diana's mental health is not good. She has an eating disorder. Her only solace is her sons and her dresser. Diana has to make some big decisions. This movie is ok. Kristen Stewart (Diana) was nominated for an Oscar for this movie. I don't think she deserved the nomination. She's only able to emote three emotions: angst, broodiness, and pained happiness. It's not a stretch for her to play Diana other than the accent. The only reason she was nominated is because it's a period piece.

Sunday: Double Feature- The Big City (1963) and CODA (2021)

         The Big City is an Indian film. Arati decides she needs to go to work to help her husband. This does not go over well in her conservative household. It looks bad on her husband if he doesn't make enough to provide for everyone. He feels like a failure. But he agrees they need the money. Arati works as a door to door saleswoman. She does really well. When her husband loses his job it puts further strain on her family. I thought this was a good movie.

       CODA (child of deaf adult) is about a teenager named Ruby. Ruby's parents and brother are deaf and she is hearing. Ruby often has to translate for her family. She works with her dad and brother on their fishing boat before school. Ruby loves to sing and decides to join the school choir. Her choir teacher thinks she could get into an art college with her singing. Her family is struggling to get by. They need her more than ever. But it is too much for her to do alone. She wants them to let her have her own life. This is a good movie. I can see why it got Oscar nominations. The actor who plays the dad is nominated for Best Supporting. He is the first deaf male actor to be nominated. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...