Skip to main content

Alfalfa Club and the Magic House

              While in California visiting my parents for Thanksgiving we had lunch at the Pink Cabana. It is in Indian Wells. It's part of the Sands Hotel. There is good parking at least during the day. It is near the Nest which is very popular at night especially on the weekends. So it will be harder to find parking at night. The restaurant is close to the pool. I'm not going to describe the decor too much because I posted a photo of it on my Facebook page. Well my mom took the photo and I decided to include it. The decor is really cool. A very 40s/50s tropical feel. The only thing you can't see in the photo is pink velvet booths they have in the corners. The lunch menu is your typical pool food with a twist. I got the tennis club sandwich. Instead of being cut up into smaller sandwiches, it is just one big sandwich cut in half with and extra piece of bread in the middle. It had alfalfa sprouts, cucumber and dijon aioli along with the turkey and bacon and all that. I'm not a huge fan of dijon but I still liked it. The service was good. Our waiter had two cool lion tattoos. I would go back for dinner. It is a really cute restaurant. 

I think I'm going to change the format of the movie section a little. I'm going to try and shorten the plot summaries. 

Monday: The Brass Bottle (1964)

         Harold is an architect who accidentally releases a genie. The genie wants to make his master happy but instead ends up making a mess of his life. I thought this movie was ok. Harold tries to logic his way out of the magic. The genie can't randomly disappear, people will notice. Money can't come from no where, they have to pay taxes and all that. It puts a twist on the typical genie story and makes it more comical.

Tuesday: The Harder They Fall (2021)

        When Nat Love was a child his parents were killed by a notorious outlaw. As he grows older he becomes an outlaw set on seeking revenge. When he finds out that the outlaw who killed his parents was released from jail he gets the help of his gang to enact is revenge. This is a good movie. It is a western with pretty much all black actors. The sets and costumes were really colorful. The cinematography was great.

Sunday: Encanto (2021)

           Mirabel is a young Columbian woman who is part of a magical family. All of her family members have a magical ability except her. The house itself is magical. Then one day the magic starts to disappear. Mirabel has to save the magic and her family. This is a good movie. It is really well done. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday: A Castle for Christmas (2021)

       A best selling author named Sophie travels to Scotland to visit the castle her father grew up in. She ends up buying the castle, much to the annoyance of the duke who lives there. They are each determined to hold onto the castle. I thought this movie was ok. The acting wasn't very good.

Wednesday: The Long, Hot Summer (1958) 

      A drifter named Ben ends up in a town in Mississippi. He buys some land from the Varner family. Ben soon get involved with the family. To the point where he is taking over part of the business and the father wants Ben to marry his daughter. This movie was alright. Paul Newman was Ben. 

Saturday: Psych 3: This is Gus (2021)

       Gus is determined to get married before his fiancee, Selene, gives birth.  He also needs her to get divorced from her estranged husband. Spencer thinks there is something not right about Selene. His investigation lead him and Gus on journey to discover who Selene really is. I enjoyed this movie. It is the 3rd movie spinoff of the TV show Psych. As always it is really funny.

Sunday: Single All the Way (2021)

        Peter is going home for Christmas. He's tired of being the only single one, so he convinces his best friend Nick to pretend to be his boyfriend. But when he gets there, and before he can say anything about his fake relationship, his mom has set him up on a blind date with a guy named James. Peter goes along with it. He discovers what he really wants. This is a good movie. Well not bad for a Christmas B movie. It is Netflix's first gay Christmas romcom. Also Sunday I watched Jingle All the Way. I didn't intentionally watch two movie with similar names. I forgot how bad it is. I always think why has it been so long time since I've seen it. Then I watch it and remember because it's so bad, that's why.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...