Skip to main content

Sylvia and the Time Travel Agent

Monday: Sylvia Scarlett (1935)
        Sylvia is a young woman living in France with her father. Her father gets in some trouble and owes money to dangerous people. They come up with a plan to escape to England. It would be much harder for her dad to escape if he is traveling with with woman. So Sylvia cut her hair, puts on men's clothes, and becomes Sylvester. On the boat they meet a con man named Jimmy. At customs Jimmy rats them out to draw attention away from himself. They lose their valuables. Once in London they find Jimmy again. He agrees to help them make money. After several failed attempts they come up with a good plan. They will travel around sea towns performing a variety act. In one town Sylvia meets a handsome artist. She falls for him. Her true identity is revealed but that doesn't make things easier. I thought this movie was alright. I mostly watched it because Katharine Hepburn played Sylvia.

Wednesday: Song of India (1949)
         Prince Gopal and his fiance, Princess Tara, decide they want to open a zoo in their city in India. They go to a forbidden forest to find animals for the zoo. Ramdar lives in the village by the forest. The people of the village have a special relationship with the animals. They don't hunt them. They are friends with the animals. It is the belief of the people that for every animal harmed a person from the village will be killed by the animals in return. So when Gopal and Tara come it threatens everything. Ramdar tries to put a stop to it. He frees the animals who were captured. Ramdar is caught but then released as long as he promises to not free the animals again. He can't keep his promise. He kidnaps Tara. Her release is dependent on Gopal leaving and not harming or taking any animals. This movie was ok. Although all the characters are Indian the only one actually played by an Indian is Ramdar. All the others are played by white actors.

Friday: Tenet (2020)
       The Protagonist is recruited to be an agent for a organization called Tenet. Much of it is a mystery. He learns that someone from the future is sending back inverted objects. For example inverted bullets. Instead of shooting the bullets you are catching them in the gun. Because they have already been shot. This could have a very dangerous affect on the world. Protagonist has to find out where these objects are coming from and stop anything bad from happening. He teams up with another agent named Neil. Together they work to put a stop to what has been set in motion. This a good movie. Like all Christopher Nolan films it is very confusing and mind trippy. I saw this movie in an actual movie theater. It was so exciting to be back in a theater. Even if I had to go all the way to Salem to do it. It's been 6 months since I've seen a movie in a theater. It was so nice to be back in my happy place.

Saturday: Game Night (2018)
       Max and his wife Annie are very competitive and love to play games. They host a game night at their house every week. Max's brother, Brooks, comes into town. He hosts a game night at his house.  Brooks wants to take game night to the next level. So he hires a game company to fake kidnap someone and then have the group solve the case to find the missing person. But something goes wrong and it ends up being a real kidnapping unbeknown to the group. They think it's still a game. So they play along until they realize how real it is. Then they have to work together to save the person who was kidnapped. I thought this movie was ok. I avoided seeing it when it first came out because I wasn't sure about the humor. I thought it would be crude and gross. The humor wasn't as bad as I thought but there were still some dirty jokes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...