Skip to main content

Mr. Belvedere and the Vanishing Lady

Monday: The Las Vegas Story (1952)
       Linda is on her way home from her honeymoon with her new husband, Lloyd. Lloyd decides he wants to stop in Vegas. Linda used to work as a singer in a casino. She didn't leave on the best of terms. She is reluctant to go back. Soon it become clear that Lloyd is in some trouble. Linda meets a man who claims to be from an insurance company that insures her very expensive necklace. After visiting her old casino she runs into Dave. He was her old boyfriend. He believes she didn't wait for him after the war. It's more complicated than that. Dave is also a cop. Lloyd's shady past starts to cause problems for them all. And the necklace seems to play a vital role. I thought this movie was alright. I like Jane Russell who played Linda.

Tuesday: Sitting Pretty (1948)
       Tacey and Harry are struggling to control their wild boys. No nanny stays for long. They even have a hard time finding a babysitter. Tacey puts a ad in the papers. She gets a response and hires Lynn Belvedere as a live in babysitter. Much to her surprise it is a man who shows up at her house. He is odd and they don't know if he will work out. Soon it becomes clear that he is amazing with the boys. They start behaving. Even the dog is more well behaved. Mr. Belvedere is a bit of a mystery. The couple don't know what he gets up to in his room. Tacey and Mr. Belvedere have a special bond. Rumors start to go around saying that they are having an affair. Which couldn't be farther from the truth. This is a good movie. I enjoyed it.

Sunday: The Lady Vanishes (1938)
      Iris has been traveling before she goes home to London. On her last night before heading home she meets an older woman, Miss Froy, and a cocky young man, Gilbert. They are all taking the same train the next day. One the way to drop off her luggage, Iris gets hit on the head by a falling potted plant. Miss Froy helps her to the train. Iris faints. When she wakes up she notices they are in a full compartment. Miss Froy takes her to get some tea. After that they return to the compartment and Iris falls asleep. When she wakes up Miss Froy is gone. Iris can't find her. Everyone she was in contact with claims she has been alone this whole time. There was no other woman with her. She bumps into Gilbert and he agrees to help her. Everyone thinks she is imagining things because of her head injury. But she knows something is not right. I liked this movie. I didn't realize till later that it was directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...