Skip to main content

Determined Teacher and the Shutdown of Manhattan

Monday: Footlight Parade (1933)
       Chester is struggling to produce musicals. People are more interested in films. He learns about musical prologues that are preformed before the movies. The first he sees is an Egyptian themed song and dance before a movie set in Egypt. He realizes there is money to be made in these prologues. He joins a company that produces them. Chester turns the business around and is very successful. His prologues are being played in cinemas all over the U.S. He is constantly having to think of new ones. His secretary, Nan, helps him come up with ideas. She is in love with him, but doesn't think he could ever feel that way for her. Chester is competing with another movie theater chain to make the best prologues. I liked this movie ok. It was entertaining. They talk very fast. It still has the quick pace that they did in silent films. You can tell it was one of the very early talkies (films with full sound).

Tuesday: Up the Down Staircase (1967)
       This movie is about a young English teacher, Sylvia, who starts her first teaching job at an inner city high school in New York. Sylvia wants to connect with them. She struggles to control her class,  she is lucky to just get through half the attendance list most days. She also struggles with the school system which seems to be working against her. There aren't enough resources, or any ways to really help her students. She does start to make an impact right as she is about to quit. I liked this movie. I'm a sucker for movies about teachers. It is based on a real teacher's experiences. Also the other English teacher is a jerk. He doesn't seem to care about his students at all. It's a mystery how some people become teachers.

Wednesday: I Love You Again (1940)
         Larry is a boring business owner who is on a cruise. He ends up saving another passenger, Duke, who falls over board. Larry is knocked unconscious. When he wakes up he is a different person. He is a con man named George. George has had amnesia for 9 years. The last thing he remembers is pulling a job on a train and getting hit in the head. With Duke's help he tries to learn about this other life he's been living. He finds out that he, as Larry, is rich. So he plans to go to his current home and take all the money from Larry's bank accounts. When they arrive at port George meets "his" wife. He soon falls in love with her. George learns that she was divorcing Larry. He tries to get the money from the bank and get his wife to fall in love with him. I liked this movie.

Friday: 21 Bridges (2019)
      Two men rob a restaurant that is also a holding place for a large amount of cocaine. They get in over there heads when cops show up and they kill all of them. The men are on the run. Andre is a detective. His father was a cop who was killed in the line of duty. He has made it his mission to take down all cop killers. He comes up with a plan to shut down the island of Manhattan. He has them close all the bridges and stops the trains from leaving. Andre wants to trap the criminals and arrest them. The FBI give him less than 7 hours to do it. As he tracks them down he starts to realize something isn't quite right. There is more going on than just two men who killed cops. This movie is good. It is a good cop thriller. It wasn't my first choice of movies. I had to save a lot for the holiday week. I still enjoyed it though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...