Skip to main content

Eve and the Famous Great Cousin

Monday: The Three Faces of Eve (1957)
          Eve White is a house wife who is quiet and obedient. Her husband starts to notice that she is acting strangely. She goes off to go to bars and dance with friends. She buys more clothes than they can afford. When asked she has no memory of doing any of those things. They go to a psychologist named Dr. Luther. He is not sure what to make of her situation. Then during a session Eve's personality changes. She says she is not Eve White, she is Eve Black. Eve Black likes to have fun, drink, and flirt with men. Dr. Luther diagnosis's her with multiple personality disorder. He tries to explain it to Eve's husband. The husband doesn't believe it. He thinks she is faking. He moves to Florida. Their daughter stays with Eve's parents. Dr. Luther tries to get to the reason why Eve developed another personality. Then he meets a third personality. This is a good movie. I liked it. It does a better job of showing multiple personality disorder than Bewitched did. I got a little annoyed with the husband. He was so ignorant. I understand that it is unheard of by most people and that it sounds strange. But he was there he saw her transition, how could he not believe her? I don't have much tolerance for ignorance. The actress who played Eve did a really good job. It was amazing how her whole face changed with each personality. You can believe that it is a different woman each time she transitions.

Friday: Midway (2019)
        The is based on a true events. Tensions between the U.S. and Japan came to a breaking point. Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. It was devastating. The navy and pilots found out that another attack would happen on their base on Midway. They came together to fight the Japanese. The movie follows the story of a pilot named Dick Best. He is reckless. At the same time he is a good pilot and cares for his country and family. We also see how the intelligence was gathered to determine the next point of attack. I wanted to like this movie more. It was good, but I don't know it just had something missing. I did enjoy seeing one of my favorite actors, Darren Criss, as one of the pilots. Also I liked that Jimmy Doolittle was one of the real people being portrayed. He was a famous pilot. He was also my grandpa's cousin. So I am related to him. Which is pretty cool to be able to say "Hey I'm related to him."

Saturday: The King (2019)
      Hal is a young prince of England. He does not like his father or how his father is running the country. He lives outside of the castle. Even though he is the oldest his father has chosen his brother Thomas as his successor. The king is very ill. Thomas dies in battle. Soon after the king dies. Hal becomes King Henry V. He wants to bring about peace. Henry wants to rule the kingdom differently than his father did. He starts to get threats from France. Henry asks for advice, but he's not sure he can trust anyone. In the end he goes to war with France. This is a good movie. It was well done. There is a battle in a field of mud. There are so many soldiers crowded together. They are slipping and falling. Many get pinned down on the ground and get trampled on. It makes me so uncomfortable. It looks so horrible. To not be able to get out or move. To be suffocated. It's one of my worst fears, the being trapped and suffocating part. Not the fighting in a medieval battle part. But that wouldn't be fun either. Also with all that armor on it is hard to tell who is who. How do you know who is your enemy and who is your fellow soldier. I'm not saying one side has to be in red and the other blue or something like that. But at least a different crest or something. That would suck to accidentally kill one of your own soldiers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...