Skip to main content

Madam Curie and the Poltergeist

Monday: Madam Curie (1943)
       This movie is about Madame Curie. The movie starts with her college days at the Sorbonne. Being one of the only women she had a hard time fitting in. A professor suggested she work on a project for the college. There she met Pierre Curie. He was resistant at first to women in science. But he soon came around. They fell in love. Marie was fascinated by the fact that some materials gave off energy constantly. She started to study what she called radium. Pierre helped her. It took several years to get it separated from other elements. Many doubted what they were doing would actually come to anything. Marie had some health problems because of the radium. In the end they were successful and even won the nobel prize. I liked this movie. It was interesting to learn about Madam Curie. One thing that was slightly off putting is that the actor who played Pierre didn't even attempt a French accent. So you have this famous French man with an American accent. At least Greer Garson, Marie, had a slight Polish accent. They seemed like the perfect match of odd quiet scientists.

Tuesday: The Last Gangster (1937)
        Gangster Joe Krozac comes home with a new European bride. She doesn't speak a lot of English. She doesn't know anything about Joe except that she loves him. He is arrested and taken to Alcatraz. On the way to Alcatraz he finds out that his wife is pregnant. His wife, Talya, is convinced he will soon be out of jail. She has no idea what he has done to put him there. When she finds out she wants nothing to do with him. Talya doesn't want her son to ever even know who is dad is. She meets a reporter and they fall in love. They move away and start a new life. Joe is very unhappy with this and bides his time till he is released. I liked this movie ok.

Sunday: Poltergeist (1982)
       A family starts to notice strange occurrences at their home. Their youngest daughter can hear voices through the TV. Chairs and objects around the house move on their own. One night the tree in their yard breaks through a window and grabs their son. As they try to save him their youngest daughter is sucked into the closet and into another dimension. They call in paranormal experts to help them. They want their daughter back and to get rid of whatever force is haunting their home. I liked this movie ok. I have avoided watching this movie for a long time. Not because I thought it would actually scare me. I know it's older and I have seen things that are way scarier. It's more of the fact that all these weird things happened on set and to the people. The little girl died only 6 years after making the movie. Two of her costars were murdered. I don't know why that scares me. It just a coincidence that they all happened to be in the same horror film and then have this stuff happen to them. I don't believe in curses or ghosts. At the same time it still makes me anxious. But I can now say I've seen it and don't have to think about it anymore. Also I like how unfazed the family was by the time the experts came. It was just a matter of fact. They were in shock. They just didn't go in the room. They knew how scary it was but they just avoided it. Lights flickering was normal. It brought some comedy to the scary moments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...