Skip to main content

Dumbo and the Journey to Shangri-La

Monday: Lost Horizon (1937)
     A government official is sent to evacuate people from China. He is one of the last to leave. The plane is hijacked and they are taken off course. Then the plane crashes into a snowy mountain. Everyone survives but the pilot. A mysterious group of villagers rescues them and takes them back to their village. It is hidden between the mountains. It is untouched by snow or cold. It is a beautiful paradise protected by the mountains. They call it Shangri-La. There are many mysterious and fantastical things about this place. The new people are resistant at first but then slowly grow to like it. I liked this movie.

Tuesday: My Favorite Wife (1940)
      This movie stars Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. They play a married couple. Ellen is lost at sea for seven years and presumed dead. Nick has finally moved on and married another woman. Then Ellen returns home that same day. She had lived on an island before being rescued. She finds out her family has moved on without her. When Nick sees her he realizes he never stopped loving her and doesn't really love his new wife. He struggles to tell his new wife what has happened. This movie being a comedy has all the struggles be for comedic effect. He soon finds out Ellen wasn't alone on the island. Nick has to deal with his own jealousy. This was a fun movie.

Wednesday: A Passage to India (1984)
      Adela travels with her future mother-in-law, Mrs. Moore, to English occupied India to see her fiancé. Once there they are disappointed with their fellow English's attitude toward Indians. They also want to see India, not the inside of a country club. Mrs. Moore meets a nice Indian doctor named Aziz. Every time Adela and Mrs. Moore try and see more of India and talk with it's people it ends in disaster. So Aziz plans a trip to some famous caves. But something happens in those caves. Once home Aziz is arrested. Racial tensions run high. I liked this movie for the most part. But it is very long.

Friday: Dumbo (2019)
       A baby elephant is born at a circus. He has extra big ears. Dumbo is picked on until it is discovered that he can fly. He becomes the star of the show. Another circus finds out about him and wants him to be their star act. Dumbo's only goal is to be reunited with his mother who was taken from him. This is based on the classic Disney story that we all know. They have made changes but mostly the story is the same. Dumbo is so cute. The pink elephant scene is not as scary. I liked it. It was my favorite movie when I was really little. I'm glad this new version lived up to the hype.

Saturday: The History Boys (2006)
     This is based on the play. All of the original cast are in it. This movie takes place in England. A group of teenage boys are in their last term before going to university. They must spend the whole term getting ready for exams. They have 3 teachers helping them. Mrs. Lintott teaches them English. Hector is one of their history teachers. His methods are unconventional and the boys put up with his quirks. Irwin is their new teacher who challenges them. He makes them question how they have been taught and what they know. I liked this movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...