Skip to main content

Captain Marvel and the Sappy Romance

No restaurant because I was on vacation.

Monday: Show Boat (1951)
        This movie is about a traveling show boat. They stop in different towns and hold a variety show. The main character is Magnolia who is the daughter of the owner of the company. She starts out behind stage. She meets a gambling actor who discovers she is a very talented singer. Then her friend Julie is prosecuted by the police in a town because she is black and is dating a white man. They must leave. So Magnolia and the gambler take over as the leads. They fall in love. She marries him against the advice of her loved ones. They leave the boat. Soon she realizes that his gambling is costing them everything and she leaves him. I liked this movie alright. There are some really good songs. I have seen the 1936 version. I admit one of the reasons I like this one better is because it is in color. The actress who plays Julie is white. They just made her look tan. I don't like that. Especially because they had a black actress lined up for the role and they decided against it at the last second. I know it was the 50s but I still don't like it.

Tuesday: Hostiles (2017)
       I mostly watched this movie because Timothee Chalamet is in it. But he is barely in it. This movie takes place in the wild west. An army captain is tasked with escorting a ailing Native American chief back to his home in Montana. He is prejudiced against Native Americans because many of them killed his friends. On the way he discovers a woman who survived an attack by a dangerous group of Native Americans. She ends up accompanying them to Montana. Along the way they encounter many challenges and lose many members for their group. The captain becomes more accepting of the Native Americans. I liked the movie. But it was sad.

Wednesday: The Happy Prince (2018)
        This is the story of Oscar Wilde in his later days. He had been put in jail when it was discovered that he was having a romantic relationship with Alfred "Bosie" Douglas. When he is released he can't go back to England so he has to live in exile. He has friends to help him. Although he must stay away from Bosie he can't help himself. He misses Bosie. So for a while they live in exile together. They have their challenges and it doesn't work out. These were the last few months of Oscar's life. I thought the movie was ok. A little slow. It was interesting to learn more about Oscar Wilde. The main reason I watched this movie is because Colin Morgan, one of my favorites, was in it as Bosie.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday: Captain Marvel (2019)
         Captain Marvel is about one of Marvel greatest heroes. We learn the back story of Vers, who later becomes Captain Marvel. She lives on a different planet. Vers is part of a team that helps other planets get rid of their enemy. After one such mission her pod crashes on Earth in 1995. She works to protect Earth from the enemy. Then she starts to discover that she had a life on Earth. Vers works with Nick Fury to discover her past and save the planet. I liked the movie. It's not one of the best Marvel films but still enjoyable. I liked that it was set in the 90s. It was good to learn more about a character that will play such a big part in the next Avengers film.

Saturday: Five Feet Apart (2019)
         A teenage girl, Stella, is back in the hospital for treatment for her cystic fibrosis. While there she meets a new patient, Will. He has a form of cystic fibrosis that is untreatable. If anyone with cystic fibrosis comes in contact with him they will get really sick and even die. Stella is strict about getting well. Will doesn't see the point in even trying. She has control issues and can't let him do nothing. So she makes him do the treatments with her to keep him on track. And of course they fall in love. But they have to stay 6 feet apart from each other. Which causes many challenges. It is a cute movie. A little sappy and cheesy, but still good.

           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...